A change in Google’s Play Store policy, will see Android users in the US gain access to certain betting and gambling apps. The updated policy comes into effect on March 1st, 2021. The changes were picked up by Reuters on January 28th. As a result, the share prices in some of the major sports betting operators in the US rose significantly.
The changes don’t apply to the entire United States and are state-specific. The policy spells out the types of apps that are allowed in each state.
Valid licensed or authorized gambling apps that have online casino games, lotteries, sports betting and Daily Fantasy Sports will be allowed in the Google Play Store.
A table shows the specific types of gambling products allowed in each country.
Up until now, betting apps serving a very small number of countries could be found in the Google Play Store. The updated policy adds 15 new countries so that the list now looks like this: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Romania, Spain, Sweden and the UK.
Eligible apps need to meet these requirements:
- Developers must successfully complete an application process to distribute the app on the Play Store.
- The app must comply with all laws and industry standards for each country in which it will be distributed.
- The developer must have a valid gambling license for each country or jurisdiction in which the app is distributed.
- The developer cannot offer a type of gambling product beyond the scope of the gambling license.
- The app must prevent under-agers from using it.
- The app must prevent access and use from countries or geographic areas that are not covered by the gambling license.
- The app must be free to download and install.
- The app must clearly display information about responsible gambling.